Here, a chunky compote of gorgeous, in-season strawberries and rhubarb tops light and fluffy dairy-free cornmeal pancakes.
Makes 24 pancakes and 3½ cups compote
For the pancakes:
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1½ cups unflavored nondairy milk (soy, coconut, or almond) or cow's milk
- 2 tbsp safflower oil, plus extra for cooking pancakes, divided
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fine cornmeal or corn flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- In a standing mixer, beat the egg whites over medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk, 2 tbsp of the oil, and the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour this dry mixture into the egg yolk mixture, and stir just until combined. With a rubber spatula, fold in the whipped egg whites in thirds, just until combined.
- Brush the inside of a 10-inch nonstick skillet with some safflower oil (about 1 tbsp), and heat over medium high. When hot, add four ¼-cupfuls of batter. Cook until light golden on the first side, about two minutes. Flip and cook the other side until also golden brown, about another two minutes. Continue with the remaining pancakes, brushing with a teaspoon of oil between batches.
For the compote:
- 4 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium saucepot, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the rhubarb is tender, about 15 minutes.